Sunday 27 April 2014

2nd Visit- St James Cavallier

St James Cavalier visit

I decided to view this exhibition on 6th March, 2014 because I heard quite good comments about the artworks. All the art works was made by Emanuel Bonnici and named it "Eccentricks". The exhibition was consisted by art projects which are 3d. I saw functional projects and un functional once. The functional once are chairs a bike the curved letter box (if it opens) but still the designs are too powerful to be used because they are there to be appreciated for its delicate work.  I also saw some computerized sketches that have been made before construction. It was interesting to see the process of before the art piece. I learned how important it is to sketch in detail before starting.
Curved telephone box


The curved telephone box:
I can see a traditional Maltese telephone box curved. It was made with wood, perspex and finished it with paint such as water base paintings. As a construction i believe it was not an easy task for him. The wood had been carved with specialized machines and sticked together with appropriate wood glue. The typography on tit was clearly made with letters templates.  He kept the original traditional Maltese telephone box colour and just curved the design.
My opinion: It is a very original idea from the designer Emmanuel Bonnici. The way it is curved is unique. It is inspired from the traditional Maltese telephone box. I learned that not every design have to be complicated to be catching to the eye. I learned that you have to dream and imagine to succeed in terms of art. 
Toilet inspired from Maltese traditional boat:
I can see a humoristic toilets inspired from the traditional Maltese boat. I believe it is made from wood and finished with paint. My reaction was a shock because I really did not expect it.  It is quit original and funny to look. Besides the toilet they placed a roll of toilet paper to complete with theme and looks more funny to the audience. It is definitely catching to the eye because everyone loves to laugh.
My opinion: I learned that almost everything can be combined it you think carefully and sometimes you have to add such thinks to gain some interests in your work.
Digital sketching before construction
The rocking chair
This unique Rocking chair is also influenced from Maltese traditional carriage. It was made with wood and finished with detailed white painted areas and green colour paint. It is full of wood strips joined with each other with nails. He decided to leave the design simple full of symmetrical and geometrical shapes. Although it looks very traditional it is still modern in the way it is made.
My opinion: I admire the delicate design of the wheels. I like the way he combined modern with traditional design. I learned that traditional items can give a lot of ideas.
digital sketch

It has common designs, shapes and colours from the rocking chair. He chooses to leave the bike simple and also classic. It was clearly inspired from the traditional Maltese carriage. It is all green with delicate pattern on the wheels. The seat is brown which really complimented with the entire colours. It was made with wood and finished with delicate paint pattern. He attached a seat on which is made with leather.

My opinion: it is another original design but not sure if it can be used realistically. I learned that in the near future i can add traditional items and transform them into modern items. 
digital sketch
I can see a Maltese traditional clock transformed it a modern was mural. It was made with wood and paint. It is full of shapes. It is a unfunctional clock. The numbers are with Roman number for more traditional look. The colour used is vibrant orange and the white colours make a huge contrast.

My opinion: it is very original but I prefer it to be functional with the clock really working. I learned that you can experiment also with colors when being inspired from traditional items.



No comments:

Post a Comment